Saturday, November 7, 2009

Again I am in a very preachy mood so thought I'll talk about the thing that I think about the most. What is being caring? What is being interfering? What is being dominating? What is being imposing? And where should one draw the line?

Are the four questions answerable individually? I don't think so. I mean to be caring, sometimes one needs to be interfering, imposing and if absolutely necessary dominating! So does this mean it is right to be caring? Can one ONLY be caring without being the rest?

To make things less complicated I am not going to take up an example with a family member. So let me take a simple example of a friend. If a friend who is really close to me is facing a problem and I can see that the person needs me? What can I do? How can I be caring without interfering? All I can think of is listening to her / him uninterrupted.

What if the problem s/he is facing is pretty serious? Like say s/he has got into a bad habit / trouble. Now how do I be caring without imposing? And worse if an adult has to be involved, will I tell on her/him? Wouldn't that be interfering? Would I risk my friendship for her/his wellbeing? Am I doing the right thing? After all I am being a tattle tale right?? I have no answer to these questions! As of now, I'd leave that person alone. Friend or not, everyone is an individual with right to choice, right? Even if the choice may not seem all that right to me... But am I doing the right thing???

So many questions! My head is reeling more now. What are the factors on which one can draw the line between caring and imposing? Is it ok if some people dominate over you? A friend once told me liberty is only taken when it is extended to us. Then again I ask, how much liberty? Does it depend on how close two people are? And is the closeness threatened when the imposing / interference is too much? Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!

Coming to my point of view, regarding my behaviour with others... (this is so much easier than generalizng it!) I believe in letting the person be, with least amount of interference as possible! But that does not mean I don't care! But if it is a person who matters more than my principles, I don't know what would happen! I might dominate and impose! But is that right? Maybe to a certain extent! But keeping that person's feelings in mind should be my priority, right? But will it be???

No comments:

Post a Comment