Saturday, June 12, 2010

Attention? Stand at ease!!! - originally from para-schizo

Nope! I am not here to give lessons in march past! I didn't learn it properly myself! (He he he) Anyway why do we behave in a way we do? Isn't it for attention? Or the lack thereof? Or to avoid it? Anything and everything we do falls in one of the three above categories... Isn't it?

Twitter, Facebook status, Orkut status, blogs... These only prove my point. Yes not everyone updates her/his status. But doesn't that attract attention too in the long run? We can say, naa people don't care. But come on, social sites are for catching up with old friends, and old friends stay in touch, so a lack of update of status can actually call for an old friend's attention! "What's up with you?" Sounds familiar??

Now coming to real life relationships, isn't attention the main criterion here as well? Whether with friends or parents or relatives or partner, whether we call it spending time, staying in touch, or taking time off for that person.. whatever it is, it all zeroes down to one thing, our attention on that person at that time...

Giving our opinion about someone, complimenting, praising, criticizing, commenting.. It all shows attention. Ironically, ignoring also reflects attention. Boycotting, the most!! The person being boycotted is clearly more in the limelight than a person being complimented(!!) What about secretive people? Are they asking for attention too? Or is it that they just end up getting it because of being the centre of people's curiosity??

While talking about attention, we can't forget two things. Popularity and fame. What's the difference between the two? The similarity is that they are the centre of attention all the time! The difference, in my opinion, is that popularity is amongst a small group and because of the person herself/himself. While fame is on a larger scale, known for a deed / profession / something they do. So all famous people are popular but not viceversa!!

Jumping on, I can't resist but talk about diplomacy! What do diplomatic people do? They talk indirectly. They take no sides. They do all this for not getting into trouble or to shy away from attention, but do they realize they are the ones most talked about?? Paradoxical isn't it??

Advertising, marketing, parties, ... Yes corporate life... We earn our rice and sambhar (I don't eat bread and butter) because of attention. From our clients. From our customers... Oof!

The more I write about this topic, the more I realize how irrational I am being when I say I don't like attention! More specifically, the centre of it. Then again, should I think I am the epicentre of the world all the time? hehehhehe! Bad joke. Like it or not, it is inevitable. But, I just want to be the centre of 'those' people's world. And they know who they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment