Saturday, June 12, 2010

Meaning of meaning - originally in para-schizo

Second post today with similar titles. But this I mean what I mean. And say what I say.And say what I mean and mean what I say!!

Ok, Jokes apart... I have always seen we all do something for a meaning. Everything has a meaning. A purpose, a definition, why? If you look at it, I'm trying to add meaning to this article as well by the question why...

Why does everything have a name? an identity? a label? Why does everything we do have a purpose? a set agenda? a meaning? Why can't we just stick to random adjectives? Why does matching take place? Matching of a particular adjective to a particular thing? More so, if a person has behaved in a particular way, why is s/he looked at in THAT particular way? Why is there a label attached to her/him?

Coming back to meaning in the true sense, I remember how much I hated definitions in school. Ok mostly because they were too long and abstruse! But also because they made no sense. I have always asked and continue to ask why is there a need to define everything. Why not just learn how it works? For eg why should I learn about malleability? Isn't it enough if I know metals can be cut into thin sheets? This brings me to a small digression - A person who cuts the sheet of metal say a not so educated person, knows that the metal can be cut into sheets. He just doesn't know that jargon - malleability! So can I conclude that the difference between an educated person and an uneducated person is just that the former knows how it works and the latter only knows the definition???

We can also look at meaning from a different perspective. Meaning as in purpose. What's in it for me? What is the benefit? How will it help me tomorrow? Yes, I know about Urguay's (kungfu Panda) quote "today is a gift, that's why it is called the present" but that's not my point... My point is why is meaning added to all we do? Study? For marks? Degree? For job? Has anyone ever done anything just like that?? For the heck of it? with no meaning or purpose???

Finally coming to the worst part of meaning. As it is, meanings can be bad, but what about overdose of it? I mean adding meaning to something is trying to understand what is not and not what is!!! Adding meaning to everything, reading between lines. Ironically there is neither purpose, nor future nor sensibility involved!

On a lighter note, I have seen so many people (many a time me as well) using "I mean" Next time I'd like to ask ourselves, do we really have to???

1 comment:

  1. It is a great question to put forward in the blog. Everybody who reads blog should ask question of why human beings have meaning for activity or expecting something in return?. If go into this problem more deeply we will have answer for corruption ,volience in the society.

    ReplyDelete